Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Joe's Neurology Appointment and Other Tid Bits

Yesterday Joe had his first neurology appointment since his seizures that occurred in October. Thanks be to God his Depakote medicine is working and he hasn't had any episodes. Joe's neurologist is so amazing. She took time to answer our questions and explained things so well. It's been a weird month. My paranoia of Joe having more seizures had kind of faded away until yesterday when we were driving the appointment. But she is very optimistic that he could possibly outgrow this in a few years.


Sam has been having a rough time lately. On Halloween he was diagnosed with hand, foot and mouth disease. His gums were SO swollen AND he was getting his molars at the same time. Poor baby was miserable. He's in occupational therapy for eating issues. I hope to dive more into that issue some other time, but his therapist, who is very very knowledgeable and good at her job, is stumped. Sam just isn't progressing. He's finally eating baby food, but that's a hit or miss sort of deal. His therapist warned us that if things don't progress in the next few months that they might have to put in a feeding tube. I'm still exclusively breast feeding (and yes, I'm exhausted) but his body needs more nutrients now that he's older. I'm hoping that once he gets his last two one-year molars in that it will suddenly click.


I'm making more of my saint dolls. I made a St. Andrew doll for my priest since our parish is called St. Andrew's. I also made one of him. I think he got a kick out of them. I actually have two orders for some dolls which I'm pretty excited about. I have to order the dolls and will be busy working on those before Christmas.

My parish priest. Yes, he's THAT bald. :-)
St. Cecilia
St. Andrew


I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year for my mom and my brother's family. I've cooked a turkey before, but my mom helped me. This year I'll be doing it all on my own. I looked up how to rinse and dry a turkey (DON'T JUDGE!) and I was met with a slew of articles debating on if one should rinse a turkey or leave it alone. I don't remember what I did the last time I cooked a turkey. I probably made my mom do it after I was traumatized after taking out the neck and giblets from the turkey. Hopefully it will all turn out fine... and not like the turkey from Christmas Vacation.

I'm actually looking forward to cooking and hosting. When my mom mentioned me hosting Thanksgiving a few months ago I was all for it. We have a small house, but I can't wait to fill it up with family and the smell of yummy food. Hopefully not burning food....

Good advice.


I job shadowed last Friday at a hospital here in Kansas City. I followed a good friend of mine and was able to get a good feel for nursing. It was really fun! I'm in the process of finishing up my last prerequisite class and setting up more job shadowing hours. I'm excited to get the ball rolling but so nervous that I won't be accepted.

I think that's enough randomness for your day... Happy Thanksgiving, everybody! Eat lots of turkey and pumpkin pie!

6 comments:

Christine said...

Glad to hear Joe is doing well. As for Sam, that must be quite frustrating and a bit scary. Praying he can get this eating thing figured out.

I cannot get enough of those saint dolls. You are talented!

Patty said...

Thanks be to God for Joe's stabilized and looking good prognosis!

Sam. Okay, my first thought is I hear you on the not eating thing. For the first time, we have a non eater. If she was the oldest or even second oldest, I'd be crying and pulling my hair out. She will not eat and if she does it will usually only be pureed food. She is almost two. It is a texture issue. We supplemented around the age of one…then transitioned to almond milk (MORE calories and she is allergic to dairy). We started her on Pediasure drinks around 18 months. One a day still. When she FINALLY ate baby food, we were thrilled. She still eats it. We worked with our pediatrician who suggested different ways to get food into her. Feeding tube = last resort. We are taking it one day at a time. For almost 18 months now. It's so frustrating. I believe she will outgrow this between ages 2 & 3. Hoping it will at least. At any rate, get a second opinion for something that serious. We have a friend whose child is on a feeding tube only because he has some life long chronic disease. Another friend had a little boy who was diagnosed with "failure to thrive" between ages 1 & 2.. No growth. At all. They did not use a feeding tube. He is ever so slowly gaining now at the age of 5. I know it is frustrating. We are in the midst of it right now. Just talk to your pediatrician, but remember, it is always great to get that second opinion no matter what. Hang in there!

Patty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patty said...

For some reason, my comment went in twice so I took the liberty of deleting the second. :)

Joy said...

Continued prayers for both your boys and you on your journey towards nursing school.
Hugs!!

Jamie said...

For the record---I thought everyone should know how Thanksgiving went----it was perfect! The turkey was great and all the side dishes were wonderful. You are quite the Suzy Homemaker. I was very impressed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails