Tuesday, December 27, 2011

On this third day of Christmas...

I don't know why, but I always get sad when Christmas Day is over. Yes, yes, I know that it is technically still Christmas until the Epiphany, but I just feel like all the magic and splendor of the Christmas season is gone. Christmas morning comes, the presents are opened, and just like that- poof- it's gone. People take down their Christmas trees that day. The neighborhoods are cold and dark with no twinkling lights to shine in the night.

I always get so emotional on Christmas Day, probably due to lack of sleep. However, the days following it I am still morose. For some reason I hate New Year's Eve. I hate all the specials on TV about the year in review. I hate when things come to an end, even something as inevitable as the year. I've always had this melancholy depressed feeling watching the Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with all the peppy pop culture hoopla and excited people lining the streets of Times Square. Maybe it stems back from when I was in elementary and high school. I knew that once New Years Day came then that meant back to school in two or three days, and that was no fun. Maybe it is because I know there is about three months of crappy, cold and snowy weather. Yes, the first few snows of winter, especially around Christmas are pure magic, but after that I'm sick of it and ready for spring.

I wish the joy of celebrating Christ's birth would storm into my heart. I wish I could be like this:



End of the year blah's. Yay. It doesn't help that I feel like the last 15 months of lack of sleep is catching up with me.

Hopefully this Mrs. Poopy-Pants attitude with go away soon.




4 comments:

Colleen said...

I just wrote a post about this!! It will publish tomorrow. I think when we get the sleep we need, our outlook on life is much happier! It's tough!

Rebecca said...

15 months without sleep? I think I'd be feeling a whole lot worse than this! Go a little bit easier on yourself Maggie :)...you will be in my prayers.

Katie@NFP and Me said...

I always feel this way after Christmas too. Especially now that I'm married and we have to travel more on and around Christmas. It just seems less magical. :(

Hope the new year picks up and we don't get as awful of a winter as they're expecting. Although I would be ok with just a couple pretty snows.

p.s.
Dick Clark's New Year's Rocking Eve always makes me think of Monica and Ross.

jdancer said...

Trying to read your most recent post and this strange man's voice starts singing to me. I'm scrolling around 'til I find the source. Now I'm peeing my pants! Thanks! That video is hilarious!!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails