Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My Moments of Peace


I have been feeling down and out lately.

What else is new, right? It seems a lot of my posts have been me bleepin' and moanin'.

The stress and anxiety are starting to take its toll. I can actually feel my chest tightening with tension when I start worrying. I catch myself subconsciously holding my breath and clenching my jaw multiple times a day.

I keep thinking I need to suck it up and go to a doctor and get some anti-depressants. I have been on them before and they have helped. But for some reason I feel uncomfortable going on them again. I can't really explain it. Maybe I'm being too prideful. Maybe I just need a good confession and some spiritual direction. Maybe I just need some booze. I'm only partially kidding on that last one.

But God is merciful and sends me moments of peace throughout the day. They are true fuzzy-wuzzy feelings. I feel like the world slows down, my heart softens from the burden of worry and for a moment I only feel happiness. I'd like to share some of those fleeting peaceful moments that get me by.

I find peace...

...in Winter Candy Apple lotion from Bath and Body Works. It is my most favorite smell in. the. whole. wide. world. I start wearing it after Halloween and stop wearing it soon after Christmas, so it's very much a holiday smell. It has actually become a Christmas tradition for me. It instantly puts me in a good mood. I've been wearing it for years. If they ever get rid of it I will be very sad.
... in long conversations with my big brother over theology and other random subjects.

... in more long conversations with my nephew. This past weekend I drove him back to my brother's house and we talked the entire way. It was an hour and a half long trip! Max is almost twelve years old, but he is so grown up. But he's not obnoxious like adults are- he still has that innocence about him. It was a nice fall evening when we were driving back. We talked about a variety of things. It was actually almost therapeutic for me! I dropped him off with a smile and in wonderment at how fast he has grown up.

I find peace...

... in the first forecasted snow of the year. Snow is so magical. So otherworldly. There is nothing better than that seeing the silent snowflakes fall and to hear the cold winds howl while I am nestled all toasty underneath a warm cozy blanket. I love this time of year. Even though the vibrant beauty of the beginning of fall has faded, I find allure in the bare trees and the lifeless grass. Plus, I love all the things that are associated with this time of year- hoodies, fireplaces, chili, piping hot soups and stews, hot chocolate, fuzzy socks, fleece, over-sized blankets, warm bubble baths... I could go on and on.

... in listening to the soundtrack from Chronicles of Narnia. For some reason I always get the urge to watch it when it gets cold and snowy. This music of this soundtrack is pretty fantastic.



I find peace...

... in going to Mass. Yesterday I went to All Saints Day Mass by myself. (Joe wasn't feeling well so Ryan stayed home with him.) It was nice to be able to actually focus on the Liturgy. When I walked in I just felt a sense of peace. I found comfort in that church smell. It's hard to describe- you can smell the oldness of the building, the perfume and cologne from the parishioners. It just has that clean, holy smell. And when I am praying I really feel that Jesus has his arms around me and is letting me know that all will be well.

... in the anticipation of the upcoming holidays. This is another reason I love this time of year. I love Advent and Thanksgiving. And of course I absolutely love Christmas. There is nothing better than friends, family, scrumptious food, traditions and memories and it all being centered around being thankful for God's blessings and for the birth of Jesus Christ.

One of the reasons I feel so down lately is because we don't have our very own home to celebrate these holidays. We won't be able to pull out the ornaments that I have collected for nearly 15 years because they are in storage. One of my favorite parts of the holidays is making my home festive and joyful. However, the joy of this holiday season overcomes my bitterness and sadness over not having our own place.





I find peace...

... in my husband. Our marriage gets stronger every day. We laugh often despite me being a Mrs. Poopie Pants. He always knows what to say to cheer me up. I think back on our friendship and budding relationship in college and the memories always make me smile.


I find peace...

... in my son. He lights up my life and I hope to have many more babies that are just as fun and sweet as he is! I feel like he is growing up so fast. Sometimes I still can't believe that he is my son. I helped create him. I nourished him in my womb. His personality bursts through every day and I find myself smiling every day because of him!





I have a lot I can complain about in life. I often feel beaten down. But God sends me these moments of peace and for that, I am thankful.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Such a beautiful, peace-filled post!

Prayers for many more peace-filled days :).

Jenny said...

Beautiful post Maggie! I know how you feel, for I often feel just like you described. It is wonderful that you recognize and stop to enjoy those little moments. They are the good stuff.

Rae said...

Rebecca and Jenny stole my comment! This is a wonderfully beautiful post.

On a lighter note, I think I can answer your question for you. "Maybe I just need some booze" I'm guessing you can't have it if you're on the meds, so you're just trying to keep your options open. ;-)

Seriously though, get thee to a doctor and see what you can do to help yourself really enjoy this the gifts of God in this season of your life. You're doing such a great job despite the challenge, imagine if you could knock out chemical issues!

Jamie said...

Cry baby. ;-)

Where have you been going to mass anyway?

Sarah said...

Please read "One Thousand Gifts" with me!! I think you'll really love it. She just writes so beautifully. I'll bet your local library has a copy you can request, since you don't live in po-dunk anymore. :p

PS. I love this post and all your photos.

Patty said...

Maggie, I think this is your best post you've ever written!!!

Your pictures spoke volumes...umm..yes, even the one of your beloved :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Maggie. I have been ahving some of my own struggles lately. But it is nice to sit and "just be" with my family.

Let me know when you think you want to come up and see us again!

Katie@NFP and Me said...

This post confirms it : we could definitely be IRL friends (as if the Chiefs and Harry Potter stuff wasn't enough.)

I know what you mean about pride and psych problems. I often think I need to just put on my big girl pants and get some anxiety medicine for when school or life or whatever gets really bad, but I am just too damn prideful.

Also, did you know they make Winter Candy Apple Hand Sanitizing lotion? I love it! It's perfect for winter when my hands are always cracked and dry from the cold and when everyone is sick. It's the best.

We were supposed to get snow here Wednesday (I think?) and I was so disappointed when I woke up and there wasn't anything there. :(

Also, I'm so ready for Christmas as well. I know some people (like my husband) hate when Christmas stuff is out before Thanksgiving is over but I love it. I could walk around it in for hours!

Holy crap, I didn't realize I wrote a book for a comment. :) I'm in the hospital and bored so please excuse me. I especially loved the point behind the post and how adorable your son is!

Catholic Mutt said...

Beautiful post and great pictures! Those moments are awesome, aren't they?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails