Monday, April 4, 2011

When Barges Attack!

How was your weekend?

Mine was pretty exciting. Well, as exciting as this teeny tiny town will allow!

We spent Saturday evening waiting for a runaway barge to pass by on the Missouri River.

I kid you not, folks!

We went to Saturday night Mass in a town about 10 miles north of us. We have to cross the Missouri River to get there. After Mass Ryan ran into the store to get a few groceries and heard that a runaway barge had struck a bridge about 30 miles away. Yikes, we thought. We prayed no one was hurt.

As we drove back home and approached the bridge over the river we noticed highway patrolmen and our town's volunteer firefighters on the bridge with their lights flashing. They were standing by their cars looking at the river. We wondered what the heck was going on! We turned on our local country station and they informed us that the barge was still on the loose and heading toward the bridge we had just crossed over. The police were there so when/if they spotted the barge they could stop traffic because if that sucker hit the bridge it would be bad news.

We drove to where there's a little lot by the river and of course tons of people were there. We were all waiting to see the barge and to see if it would crash into the bridge. Some of Ryan's co-workers were there and we had a good time visiting.

We stood around chatting with other people from the town, listened to country music, had a beer, watched as someone built a bonfire (it was getting dark and cold), and watched the river. That might sound totally redneck, but I had an awesome time!

We stayed there for about an hour. We got news that the barge had been located on a sandbar. Our town's mighty bridge was safe to stand another day!

I had to get a picture of the bridge in case it was destroyed.


Waiting for the barge. Even though we didn't get to see it we got a spectacular sunset. God is so awesome! Drinking the one beer made me so incredibly tired even though I had drank a Dr. Pepper late in the day. I usually never have caffeine after 2:00 p.m. I suddenly remembered why I don't drink it late in the day when my son was bouncing off the walls at 9:55 p.m. that night! (Note the clock in the background!)

It is the simple things in life that make me happy. Like barges, beer and baby smiles.



And in case you don't believe me about the runaway barge, here is the proof!

5 comments:

Katie said...

I am so jealous! I watched the CMA's last night wishing I lived in a small town again! That's a cute wrap-up of your weekend!

Anonymous said...

That sounds so fun. It's stuff like that, that makes me wistful about the idea of Craig and I both working a "normal" M-F, 8-5 job so we could share our weekends together.

Your son is so cute and I remember nursing Helen and I couldn't have Diet Coke after noon for the same reason!

Patty said...

That sounds like life on the Illinois River...where I grew up! Too funny.

So baby likes caffeine!

That Married Couple said...

Haha, that's great!

Catholic Mutt said...

That sunset is gorgeous! I love that in small towns, things like that can become a community event. I miss that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails