Friday, April 1, 2011

Oooo La La! Look at Me!

On Tuesday I wrote a post about how I am trying to de-slob myself and embrace more of my feminine side. I got some very encouraging comments! Thank you!

I suppose I should tell you that I am very much all talk and no action. My plans to learn how to sew? Yeah, the Sewing for Dummies book is gathering dust on my book shelf. My plans to exercise? Still finding excuses to get out of it. My plans to update my personal journal? Last entry was August 25, 2010.

I figured that my plans of taking baby steps to girl-ify myself would go by the way side. But the small feminine part inside me took a stand and said, "NO MORE! No more men's sweat pants! No more not brushing your hair! No more, no more!"
So on Wednesday this is what I looked like:



I took a shower, blow dried my hair, put a bra on (!!!) and put WOMEN'S clothes on. Yeah they are too baggy, but it's a start! I even pulled my hair back into a half-pony tail. I didn't go overboard though. I didn't put my contacts in or put makeup on. Baby steps....

Yesterday we went shopping. Usually my "dressing up" for a casual occasion such as shopping is wearing a nice hoodie, jeans, and tennis shoes. Not this time!



I'm wearing a scarf, people! That's a big deal for me! I have lipstick on! My hair is brushed! I'm practically a movie star! :-) I still think I look frumpy, but at least it's a girly frump.
I have no where special to go today. But I still thought I'd step it up a little from my usual ratty t-shirt and over sized sweats. I got the shirt and pants on clearance at Target yesterday!



I put make up on just for fun. I "did" my hair by making a messy bun. (Funny how something that is supposed to be "messy" takes forever!) I put in a headband that I bought yesterday. I always think that headbands are nice accessories, but they always end up giving me headaches. But I bought one by Goody that is supposed to be more flexible and isn't so tight.



Yesterday while shopping we went to Goodwill. I bought a couple pairs of nice pants and these skirts. Yes, I said skirts! They were $3.00 each. I will admit I've always kind of looked down on Goodwill. But the vast majority of the shoppers there were very well-dressed women and college girls. They had some very nice stuff! Now I won't feel like such a slob going to Church. I usually always wear jeans to church. I always feel guilty because I know I should be dressing up for the Lord, but I just don't have the clothes. Now I do!




Now I like putting on make up but the problem with make up is that it usually looks like poopie within a few hours. Plus, when I wear lipstick or gloss I get lipstick all over the can. This is one of the reasons I don't like wearing anything other than chapstick. I don't like to get ooey-gooey makeup all over the place when I kiss my baby boy and my husband. I don't think I even wore lipstick during my hoochie mama days! Any make up wearers out there have any good tips for me? Any product recommendations?

While trying on clothes yesterday and looking at pictures of me with my new look I finally have come to realize why I dress like a slob. I make excuses- I want to be comfy, I have no where to go so why get dressed, I can't afford new clothes, etc. But really it comes down to that I am not happy with my body. When I look at myself in baggy clothes I think, "OK, so I don't look womanly, but at least you can't see my fat arms and pudgy belly." If I wear more feminine clothes, even in the right size I still feel so self-conscience. I don't have baggy-ness to hide behind.

This is something I need to work on. I'm still taking baby steps in finding my womanly-side and confidence in myself.

13 comments:

Allison said...

I think you look great! And I do think that when you try to dress up, many times you feel better.

Is the headband one of those jelly type ones? I wore those when I had long hair, and liked them, because yeah, other ones give me headaches.

And hey, no looking down on Goodwill, that's where I shop! ;) But I grew up going to thrift stores with my mom. I hate spending full price. So there are some normal people there at times ;)

Katie said...

You're lucky you have the bone structure to put your hair up! It's so pretty. I'm always wearing mine down.

I know what you mean about body image, and the funny thing is, most people don't notice half of what you do. I recently gained 15 lbs. and don't like the mirror, but when I lament my body issues with friends, they're like, "What are you talking about?"

I love the picture with you and Joe in the scarf...so pretty!

Alzbeta said...

I have to say, you look absolutely beautiful in your going to the store outfit! I definitely see no frump there :).

I understand the not dressing feminine because of body image. But I'm trying to do better, because I've realized if I buy clothes that really do fit me well, I'll look a million times better. Now I have to work on hating clothes shopping... :). I like finding cute clothes, but hating sifting through whole stores to find one shirt that fits my new mama shape. We can do it!

Patty said...

The new you looks fantastic! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE those skirts!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Alzbeta...your going shopping outfit is NOT frumpy! You look really good!

I know what you mean about not wanting to buy clothes and being discouraged by body image...I am there most of the time. But God sees you so differently. My biggest struggle is remembering to see myself through God's eyes and not through my sin-stained glasses.

have you ever seen The Prince of Egypt? I LOVE that song in there about Look at your life through Heaven's eyes. I think it applies very well to appearance and how we view ourselves.

Anyway, you look great!

Sarah said...

I LOVE your new skirts! I shop Goodwill and other second hand stores all the time. You would not believe the amount of nice things from Gap, J Crew, Banana Republic, etc. that I have gotten second hand for like 5 dollars. I LOVE second hand. :)

Your hair looks really cute pulled back with the headband. :)

Melissa said...

You are adorable in every picture! I hear you on the body image thing, it is hard for me to feel like I am worth the effort, especially when I feel fat. But like I said in my last comment, if I waited to take care of myself until I was happy with my body, I would never buy anything. I take shortcuts though, I only shave my calves (thighs takes too long!), I like light body sprays instead of perfumes, I put in earings but never really bother with other jewelry, I buy clothes that are nice, but I always wear yoga pants at home. For makeup, I'v always hated the mess of lipstick too, if I want to use makeup I usually stick with some powder eye shadow brushed on the eyelids, and maybe some blush if I'm looking pale. Works for me. :)

Dacia said...

Yay for baby steps! It is hard after you have a baby because nothing fits the same. I am just now downt o my pre-pregnancy weight a yr later. baby steps. :)

I shop at Goodwill for decorations and I love going there for clothes and shoes for my 1 yr old. Love the skirts you found! I agree it is important to dress up for Church. :)

Holly Rutchik said...

Ahhh! Are you kidding me, you look so amazing! Love the shopping outfil. And, you have a really great face for pulling hair back - I'm not a freak or anything, I just always wish I had that so I notice it in other people :)
I do think it is a good that you nailed down the reason you want to dress sloppy. And, although others can tell you that you look wonderful, YOU need to feel good about yourself and if you don't, I think it's great you know why.
Lots a great "women" work you have done this week. Isn't it nuts have being a mama has us thinking about these things? I think becoming a mother really ups the game in all aspects of womenhood - God is so smart that way!

Rebecca said...

Love your going shopping outfit! You look great!!!

And the skirts are awesome :).

I so feel you on this topic - I'm sitting here right now in The Man's sweats and a too-big sweatshirt. You've motivated me to pick out something nice to wear to Mass this evening.

Jamie said...

I agree with the other posters: you look great in that shopping outfit, not frumpy at all. And you are just naturally gorgeous to be able to wear your hair pulled back like that and look so good!

As for makeup tips: stick with mascara, some blush or powder and a little lip gloss or chapstick on the lips and you'll still look pretty without smudging all over your men!

Anonymous said...

One more comment on the lips; have you ever done tinted lip balm? It gives you a little bit of color, but its not sticky like lipstick. It's very subtle. Burt's Bees makes a really nice one; it still has the mint smell of their chapstick, but they have a few different shades. Maybe like 6$ at Target or Walgreens.

This is Sarah -- I'm too lazy to log in.

That Married Couple said...

You look great! I was meaning to comment on your previous post, but have been a little distracted lately by a certain baby - I know you can relate!

Anyway, good for you for making the effort! You look great! One thing I've tried to do lately is wear more yoga-ish pants instead of baggy sweat pants, because there's something about them that makes me feel a bit more pulled together.

What does Ryan think? I know that for my husband, he could care less about make-up, but does appreciate it when I wear nicer clothes. In fact, he'd rather me not wear make-up! So I haven't in like 4+ years now :) Just a thought, maybe see what Ryan's preferences are so that when you really don't feel like going all out, you can at least do what he appreciates most?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails